Get real information from sources on the ground regarding the fires and life in Big Sur NOW!
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
NEEDS....Post your need/or Wish to Donate/Volunteer Here: Updated Thurs. 2pm
NEEDS: ===================> We still are housing evacuees, mostly now from Esalen who can't get back in. We rented another home short term but need a donation of: 1. TWIN BEDS so that we can accomodate people. We need TWO (2) twin beds. Thanks to an anonymous donor we only now need two twin beds. I know beggars can't be choosers but please only donate stain free, rip free, pet hair and dander free mattresses and springs. Having Sheets and Blankets and newer pillows would also help. We will pick them up.
2. We need a decent, not going to break down tommorrow WASHER AND DRYER for the new evacuee location. Again, We will pick them up. <===HOORAY! WE have a washer, but still need a dryer.
3. The new evacuee house needs painting inside...we fondly call it the Partridge Family House...you will understand when you see the wallpaper!!!! The Comcast guy said they didn't know whether they liked zebra prints or red daisies...so they combined both! Anyone available to help paint? It also needs some clean up: with weedwacker and leaf blower outside.<==Leaf Cleanup has happenned. Thankyou. But that whacky wallpaper is still glaring at us. Things are starting to shape up.
4. Gas Cards would also be helpful for those running around getting things done and picking up donations.
5. A nice dining room table with chairs would be great also. We are currently using a large drum with a piece of glass on top. Yes, it's creative but only fits 4 people around it.<==We still need a dining room table and chairs.
6. An Outdoor table with umbrella with chairs for the backyard. WE are using an ugly card table at present. <==We painted the ugly card table but could use some lounge chairs....being an evacuee is hard work and unsettling...and we can't all stay in the house at the same time.
7. Garbage Cans for each bedroom and kitchen. Pots to boil water in or cook up grub would be great. Thanks to Susan B. we have two frying pans.
8. A TV: We have a very small TV but it's so small (8 in x 5) that you almost can't see it. A Used larger TV would be great.
NOTE we asked for and received: A Wireless Router: <==THANKS TO SYLVIA of Carmel Valley!
9. LARGE CHAIR for LR: A nice large chair E-Z chair for the living room is needing it The person who donated it temporarily is able to get back into Big Sur today so they need it back. Thanks Jim, we all loved sitting in it! He also needs his vacumn cleaner back...so if anyone has a working one that would make us clean freaks happy.
7. DONATE $: If you don't have the above items but wish to help by making a donation, you can do that using PAYPAL if you have a Paypal account. The Paypal acct that you would send the money to is: Harpist4you@cs.com Please note in the information box what you want your donation to be used for. Thankyou SO SO MUCH! We can't do it without all of you.
E-mail: Harpist4you@cs.com or Call 1-831-899-Susan (7872) =============================================================> VOLUNTEERS WISHING TO HELP: 1. HEY SOUTH COASTERS!!! We have a qualified volunteer who is willing to pick up Mail in BS and Monterey as well as bring in other supplies. Her time is free, you pay for the gas..but it would be a great idea for all South Coasters who can't easily get to Monterey to have one person designated to bring you your mail and other supplies twice per week. You would need to arrange with Martin at the Post Office to give permission to give her the mail. Call my daughter Ariana: at 720-480-7157 to coordinate.
2. Exp. Vol. Firefighter from MD, looking to help Location: Anywhere
Type of Work: Heavy Duty I'm a military spouse on Ft. Ord, but am originally from MD and volunteered with my local VFD for over 6 years before moving out here. I have experience with wildland fires, structural fires and mechanical fires as well as all manner of rescue (certified Rescue Technician). My medical certs have lapsed, but I was certified up to EMT-IV. I want to help! Either assisting civilians pick up and move or go home, assist in moving animals or even go to the fireline with an Indian Tank on my back.
Contact Info: Stephanie Phone: 831-920-7274 Email: email@example.com ====================================> To post your wish to donate or your need...use the comment section. Thankyou! ====================================>
This Blog is for the People, by the People! Big Sur Spirit will not be Censored
We welcome your sincere thoughts, well wishes, and true emotions here. We ask that you are as respectful as possible when sharing but we don't expect you to sugar coat things either. So far for humor...we've voted 1/2 tree's posting the most hilarious!!! Thankyou Half Tree!
You can stay ANONYMOUS if you want. IF you do privately let us know who you are...we won't be telling anyone else who you are. =========> We will not be editing or deleting posts-so feel free to express yourself Big Sur Style. We have heard multiple reports of posts being deleted off of other sites and understand that they could have been deleted by anyone due to the honor system that was set up which allowed anyone to edit another's post.
Every blog has it's place and style. All your comments have their place and style.
Say it like it is. Be REAL! Be in the Now! Susan Bradley
This site is set up for you to post your postings in the comment sections of different topics. If you think that there should be another header or topic that is not represented let us know by emailing directly at Harpist4YOU@cs.com You can also call 831-899-Susan (7872)
If you wish to be a posting contributor, you will need a yahoo.com or google account.
IF for some reason you can't post a comment, you can email it to me directly: Harpist4You@cs.com Call 831-899-Susan (7872) alt # is 831-238-6111
This site will remain active FOREVER! This is your site!
Do you think the Sheriff should allow homeowners (who stayed behind to defend their property) to have an authorized/designated person to bring in medical and other crucial supplies, such as water and water hoses?
Will you stay or go? The next time there is a mandatory evacuation for fire or other disaster will you stay or go?
Thankyou's are in Order to many people including the following:
* Dave Graham (Chicago) for setting up the blog in minutes even though we called him when he was at breakfast with his parents on the Holiday. * Dan Bender (Ohio) for generously procuring our web domain and getting our site up in 24 hrs. *Susan Bradley-for organizing all of these efforts and for design of web layout. (For those who wonder...she actually does sleep sometimes.) *Silvia: For providing immediate support-creating flyers and attending the community meeting to invite BS Evacuees to the July 4th Gathering *David Nicholson and DJ Marean for helping evacuees move their belongings and store them. * Shoshanna and her daughter for creating flyers for this website and a beautiful banner. (P.S. we need more flyers.) *David Dildine-Redwood Grill for providing food for the gatherings and for meals for the evacuees we house. * Financial Donations from: David Graham (Chicago), Joanne Fazzino (San Fran), Annie Gleason (San Fran), Kitty Schulz (Chicago), Jewel Fine and Bob Morris (The Hamptons), Yana T (Berkeley), MaryAnn Gallagher (Berkeley), Martha Edwards (Seaside), Todd Albrigo (San Diego), Chris Parks (Atlanta)
Please excuse any accidental omissions. We appreciate each and every one of you.