Get real information from sources on the ground regarding the fires and life in Big Sur NOW!
Sunday, July 6, 2008
Lobbying for More Firefighting Resources
Silvia Ramirez, here, previously used to live by Palo Colorado. Thanks for those who previously posted messages about lobbying and letter writing for more help, it got me to thinking, maybe we could do that in that in big numbers quickly and easily through an internet website.
After some research, found the website www.thepetitionsite.com where it seems we could set it up. I have no experience in this area whatsover, nor am I that computer savvy, would someone who does be willing to set it up? Please call or email me.
I'm thinking the following to include in the petition:
1. Send to Governor Schwarzenegger, Rep. Sam Farr D-Salinas, Sen. Abel Maldonado R- San Luis Obispo and maybe President Bush
2. Get a list from Commander Mike Dietrich and Frank Pinney at the community meeting exactly what else is it that they need to put this fire out and request exactly that on the petition.( Went the 4th of July community meeting and Commander Mike Dietrich was asked if they had enough resources and he said "No".)
3. Plans to mitigate landslides come winter need to be started immediately. Assessment of the Highway 1 needs to be done as soon as the fire is put out. Bids for contracts to be put ASAP before winter comes. We need to ask for fast track action, come winter it is just too late.
4.Include that by getting the adaquate resources now, we are also benefiting the respiratory health of Californians, especially those in the central valley who have been exposed to unrelenting long term smoke exposure since the Indians fire began 6/08/08. Expenditures spent now to end the Basin fire equates to less expenditures spent later for health care, not be mention the reduction of work productivity due to lung problems.
5. Other related clean up measures after the fire ends.
6. FEMA assistance.
If anyone else has any other ideas of either a better website to use than wwww.thepetionsite.com or what to include, either call me, email me or post under notices here on BigSurNow.com
To all who want to help, but not sure what to do, to all of us who love Big Sur so dearly, lets ultilize our democracy together to help put an end this fire and begin the process of the rebuilding.
This Blog is for the People, by the People! Big Sur Spirit will not be Censored
We welcome your sincere thoughts, well wishes, and true emotions here. We ask that you are as respectful as possible when sharing but we don't expect you to sugar coat things either. So far for humor...we've voted 1/2 tree's posting the most hilarious!!! Thankyou Half Tree!
You can stay ANONYMOUS if you want. IF you do privately let us know who you are...we won't be telling anyone else who you are. =========> We will not be editing or deleting posts-so feel free to express yourself Big Sur Style. We have heard multiple reports of posts being deleted off of other sites and understand that they could have been deleted by anyone due to the honor system that was set up which allowed anyone to edit another's post.
Every blog has it's place and style. All your comments have their place and style.
Say it like it is. Be REAL! Be in the Now! Susan Bradley
This site is set up for you to post your postings in the comment sections of different topics. If you think that there should be another header or topic that is not represented let us know by emailing directly at Harpist4YOU@cs.com You can also call 831-899-Susan (7872)
If you wish to be a posting contributor, you will need a yahoo.com or google account.
IF for some reason you can't post a comment, you can email it to me directly: Harpist4You@cs.com Call 831-899-Susan (7872) alt # is 831-238-6111
This site will remain active FOREVER! This is your site!
Do you think the Sheriff should allow homeowners (who stayed behind to defend their property) to have an authorized/designated person to bring in medical and other crucial supplies, such as water and water hoses?
Will you stay or go? The next time there is a mandatory evacuation for fire or other disaster will you stay or go?
Thankyou's are in Order to many people including the following:
* Dave Graham (Chicago) for setting up the blog in minutes even though we called him when he was at breakfast with his parents on the Holiday. * Dan Bender (Ohio) for generously procuring our web domain and getting our site up in 24 hrs. *Susan Bradley-for organizing all of these efforts and for design of web layout. (For those who wonder...she actually does sleep sometimes.) *Silvia: For providing immediate support-creating flyers and attending the community meeting to invite BS Evacuees to the July 4th Gathering *David Nicholson and DJ Marean for helping evacuees move their belongings and store them. * Shoshanna and her daughter for creating flyers for this website and a beautiful banner. (P.S. we need more flyers.) *David Dildine-Redwood Grill for providing food for the gatherings and for meals for the evacuees we house. * Financial Donations from: David Graham (Chicago), Joanne Fazzino (San Fran), Annie Gleason (San Fran), Kitty Schulz (Chicago), Jewel Fine and Bob Morris (The Hamptons), Yana T (Berkeley), MaryAnn Gallagher (Berkeley), Martha Edwards (Seaside), Todd Albrigo (San Diego), Chris Parks (Atlanta)
Please excuse any accidental omissions. We appreciate each and every one of you.